Entries by BetterWyoming

SESSION RECAP: Increasingly conservative Legislature passes first anti-abortion bills in decades, though largely defanged by amendments

“Pro-life” Republican lawmakers in Wyoming tried to create two new state laws to put women and doctors in jail if they violated the far-right’s extremist

SESSION RECAP: For gay rights in Wyoming, nothing got better, but nothing got worse

March 24, 2017

Gay rights advocates helped stir up enough opposition to defeat two terrible bills during the legislative session that would have legally protected

SESSION RECAP: On public lands, the action took place before the session began

March 21, 2017

Better Wyoming didn’t report on public lands issues this legislative session, not because we don’t care about public lands—in fact, they’re among

SESSION RECAP: Lawmakers’ prefabricated ‘think tank’ bills are useless to Wyoming

March 13, 2017

Imagine you’re a state legislator. So it’s up to you to propose laws that will make Wyoming a better place. How to

SESSION RECAP: A marijuana reform bill is a terrible thing to waste

There was a time when introducing a marijuana bill in the Wyoming Legislature was a totally futile act. Legalization? Forget it. Ditto decriminalization and medical

SESSION RECAP: Lawmakers opted to tackle 10 percent of Wyoming’s education funding crisis and solve the other 90 percent … sometime later

March 7, 2017

How many ways did the Legislature fail Wyoming’s public education system during its recent session?

It’s difficult to count them all, but

Senate Says ‘Welcome Back’ to Nonviolent Felons by Restoring Voter Rights

March 3, 2017

It took him three tries and a lot of work, but Rep. James Byrd (D-Cheyenne) has finally passed a bill to automatically

Critics say new ENDOW program endows the state with more bureaucracy, waste, and old thinking

March 2, 2017

Just in the nick of time to save our economy, state lawmakers have provided Wyoming a brand spanking new acronym: ENDOW.


Wyoming Legislature poised to pass first anti-abortion bills since 1989

The Wyoming Legislature hasn’t passed an anti-abortion bill since 1989, when lawmakers decided to require parental consent and a 48-hour waiting period for minors. Each